Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can stainless steel components become discoloured?
Yes, this is a normal process with
stainless steel - and something you can't avoid.
Stainless steel components can develop surface rust due to oxidisation in the atmosphere.
You can treat the surface with a special stainless steel cleaner.
2. How should I clean enamelled components?
The best way to clean enamelled components is with a household detergent and a brass brush.
3. How should I clean cast iron components?
The best way to clean cast-iron
components is with a steel or brass brush and a standard detergent (no abrasives)
Additionally, you can clean them with a sponge and warm water.
After completing cleaning, allow to dry fully, and apply a coat of vegetable grease. Cast-iron components must be stored in a dry place. Regular greasing after use improves corrosion resistance. Any rust can be removed with a steel or brass brush. Rust is not a manufacturing defect.
4. How should I clean chrome-plated components?
Chrome-plated components such as cooking grills must be clean regularly after you use your barbecue and stored in a clean condition and a dry place.
5. What gas should I use with my LANDMANN appliances?Our gas-fired barbecues are designed for use with propane/butane gas only.
6. Does LANDMANN sell natural gas barbecues?
Right now, we don't have any natural gas
appliances in our catalogue.
Gas barbecues cannot be converted for natural gas.
7. What connector does my LANDMANN gas barbecue need?
A 50 mbar pressure reducer is legally required in Germany. Other pressure reducers are illegal in Germany. Please note that LANDMANN appliances that you see abroad may use different pressure reducers.
8. Can I buy LANDMANN products directly from the manufacturer?
No, we sell our appliances exclusively
through our trade and internet customers.
You cannot buy directly from LANDMANN.
9. What material are the gas burners on the lava rock gas barbecue trolley made of?
The gas burners in this category are
made of highly durable aluminised steel sheet.
Our "atracto" product range even uses stainless steel burners.
10. Which product variant is better? Enamel or cast-iron?
Both materials have their advantages. Enamel has the advantage of being corrosion resilient, scratch-proof, and easy to maintain. However, it is important to avoid knocks that cause the enamel coating to chip. Cast-iron has the advantage of performing better in heat than enamel.
11. How does convection cooking work?
Coal dividers are placed on the charcoal grid for the convection cooking method. The space behind the charcoal dividers is filled with charcoal or briquettes. The space between the charcoal dividers remains empty. If necessary, a drip bowl or a plate can be placed here to collect the dripping fat. When applying the convection cooking method you should always close the lid to form an enclosed cooking space. In addition, the air vents on the lid and the fire bowl should also be opened to enable the hot air to circulate. The cooking time required for convection cooking is naturally longer than the time for direct grilling. However, the lid does not need to be opened frequently to turn the food, as the food is heated from all directions, much like a fan-assisted oven.
12. Where can I buy spare parts for my LANDMANN barbecue?
Please use our service form for this.
13. Are special LANDMANN recipe books available?Our competency lies in the development and manufacturing of barbecues. As a special incentive for you, we publish a special seasonal recipe once a month.
14. When I use my lava rock gas barbecue trolley, I see a lot of smoke and small flash flames. Is this normal?
Smoke and flash flames occur when grease drops onto the hot lava rocks. You should be especially cautious with marinated meat. We recommend using aluminium trays, which catch the grease separately. You can clean the lava rocks with hot water and a detergent. However, they are not dish cleaner safe.
15. I have lost my manual
No problem; go to Service and Downloads where you can download the manual you require via the PDF link. On request, we should be happy to mail a manual to you.
16. How long is the warranty on my LANDMANN / Grillchef product?
We provide a legal warranty of 2 years as of purchase date. The warranty does not cover events which are a logical consequence of using the product. Please read your manual carefully for more details. For selected LANDMANN products we offer an additional LANDMANN manufacturer’s warranty of up to 5 years– besides the legal warranty – for certain components. Again, you will find details of this in your manual.
17. The spare part isn't the same as the original part
This is possible. We improve our products all the time. It may very well be that we have improved or standardised the part since you purchased your barbecue.
18. Magnets shouldn't stick on stainless steel. Despite this, some stainless steel components are magnetic. Why?
It is common belief, but untrue, that stainless steel is always antimagnetic. The magnet test isn’t suitable for judging the quality of a material. Some 95 % of all typical stainless steels worldwide are magnetic. High alloy steels, referred to as stainless steel 304 and stainless steel 316L are not magnetic. The stainless steels used by LANDMANN in the manufacture of barbecue appliances and accessories comply with the AISI 202 or AISI 304 standards. These types are magnetic but this has irrelevant to the stainless steel quality.
19. Which fire lighters are best?
We recommend the use of special fire lighter cubes(e.g. LANDMANN Universal Fire Lighter Cubes) for safe, clean and easy ignition of the charcoal or briquets.
Fire lighter cubes guarantee precise dosage, are odourless and do not cause any residues that would affect the taste of the barbecued food. Our LANDMANN starter chimney is a perfect choice for igniting charcoal barbecues.
20. Do I need to preheat my LANDMANN gas barbecue?
Yes, all gas barbecues should be preheated. Preheat the appliance for approx.. 20 minutes with the lid closed at a high setting. For details, please refer to your manual. After preheating the appliance, you can start barbecuing and reduce the heat again.
If you failed to find an answer to your question, please don't hesitate to contact our service department!